By Norman Steenrod
Fibre bundles, now a vital part of differential geometry, also are of significant significance in smooth physics--such as in gauge thought. This publication, a succinct advent to the topic by means of renown mathematician Norman Steenrod, used to be the 1st to provide the topic systematically.
It starts off with a common advent to bundles, together with such themes as differentiable manifolds and overlaying areas. the writer then presents short surveys of complex issues, akin to homotopy conception and cohomology conception, ahead of utilizing them to check extra houses of fibre bundles. the result's a vintage and undying paintings of serious application that might attract critical mathematicians and theoretical physicists alike.
Read Online or Download The topology of fibre bundles PDF
Best differential geometry books
Fibre bundles, now an essential component of differential geometry, also are of significant significance in sleek physics--such as in gauge concept. This ebook, a succinct creation to the topic through renown mathematician Norman Steenrod, used to be the 1st to offer the topic systematically. It starts with a normal creation to bundles, together with such subject matters as differentiable manifolds and protecting areas.
Brower W. surgical procedure on simply-connected manifolds (Springer, 1972)(ISBN 0387056297)
This self sustaining account of contemporary rules in differential geometry exhibits how they are often used to appreciate and expand classical leads to crucial geometry. The authors discover the impact of overall curvature at the metric constitution of whole, non-compact Riemannian 2-manifolds, even supposing their paintings might be prolonged to extra normal areas.
The current ebook is meant as a textbook and reference paintings on 3 issues within the identify. including a quantity in development on "Groups and Geometric research" it supersedes my "Differential Geometry and Symmetric Spaces," released in 1962. because that point a number of branches of the topic, rather the functionality thought on symmetric areas, have constructed considerably.
- Inspired by S S Chern: A Memorial Volume in Honor of a Great Mathematician (Nankai Tracts in Mathematics (Paperback))
- Arbeitstagung Bonn 2013: In Memory of Friedrich Hirzebruch
- Unitary representations of topological groups
- Variational principles for second-order differential equations : application of the Spencer theory to characterize variational sprays
- Differential Sheaves and Connections: A Natural Approach to Physical Geometry
- Geometric Analysis of Hyperbolic Differential Equations: An Introduction
Additional info for The topology of fibre bundles
3. E(S) harmonic submanifold = E inner The energy 7. M is End(V) I S2 Fnd(EV) I XS -SX}, I YS SY}. JY E End(fff) IX (indefinite) < defined = fm := functional < dS A *dS >. with respect to variations of S are called M to Z. S is harmonic if and only if the Z-tangential component of dS vanishes: (d This condition is equivalent to * any dS)T of the F. E. : LNM 1772, pp. 31 - 38, 2002 © Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2002 = 0. 2) = 0, (6-3) = 0. 4) fact, d(S Proof. St be Let a Q * = 4d * of S in variation fm d d Wt- E(S) the 4d = S(d dS)T * Z with = (Sd variational * dS)T.
HIE E is is the called a is equivalent to the fact 0 E F(E), projection. 1) do) and hence induces a holomorphic structure F(E) into itself, complex line bundle E. line bundle A complex line bundle E C H induces a quaternionic of H maps the on L=EH=EE)Ej CH. to the structure of a JE admits a unique extension complex structure bundle (L, J), namely right-multiplication complex quaternionic by (-i) on line bundle (L, J) C H induces a a complex quaternionic Ej. Conversely, line bundle complex The E:= Definition lift 10.
HP1 with deriva- L C H in curve Then there exist complex structures J such that We want to extend J and j = to S E a jj complex structure F(End(H)) such that SL this Q case". e. 4) dSL c L. of S is'clear: The existence bundle L' Since L' Identify not unique, L. is H = 0, R can be Q: interpreted I((S 4 + 1(SdS 4 Q+ V) E F(L), SIL complementary Ji SIP := j. := S + R is kerR, and We compute If some if and RS + SR Note that for and define 7r, RH c L c whence R2 L E) L' = It is easy to see that S is not unique.